Ministry of Health has just announced that the MediShield Coveage will be revamped by the first quarter of 2013, making the coverage better, but with higher premium and higher medical fee one has to bear first before claimable from the MediShield scheme.
The main enhancements are
1) Annual limit to increase to $70,000 from $50,000.
2) Lifetime limit to increase to $300,000 from $200,000.
3) Coverage age up to 90 years old, previously was 85 years old.
4) Include new coverage on psychiatric treatment up to $100 a day, for up to 35 days yearly.
5) Include short stay wards in emergency department.
Cost issues includes
1) Premium increase range from $17 to $251 per year.
2) Deductible (payment by patient before MediShield kicks in) for the insured up to 80 years old to increase to $1500 from $1000 for C Class Ward, and to increase to $2000 from $1500 for B2 Class Ward.
The government is also considering to include treament for congenital problem and neonatal care, subject to the outcome from the public consultation.
For those who are on private Medisave-approved Integrated Shield plan, you can expect your premium to be increased too next year, since the underlying basic plan is the MediShield plan.